Where to stay near voyageurs national park
Table Of Contents
Voyageurs National Park’s waterways make it a draw in northern Minnesota. Visitors can explore the park by canoe, fish, hike or take a boat tour. Camping is available in Voyageurs. All campsites in the park are accessible only by water. Therefore, visitors use a boat, canoe, or other watercraft to reach a campsite.
The inland campsites can also be reached directly by boat. The campsites in the hinterland can be reached by boat and by following a hiking trail into the hinterland. Another popular activity in the park is stargazing, which offers an impressive view of the Milky Way at some locations in the park. The bird diversity in Voyageurs makes it a birdwatcher’s paradise.
Voyageurs is open in winter for skiing, snowshoeing and snowmobiling. Find the right accommodation near the park so you have enough time to enjoy the place and its attractions. Rest and recover after a long day of hiking. In this article, you will find some accommodations that you should consider.
Understanding the Location
Voyageurs National Park is in the southern part of the Canadian Shield and shares a boundary with Canada. It has some of the oldest rocks on the North American continent and forms the ancient core of the continent. The Voyageurs area is divided into the Quetico and the Wabigoon subprovince, separated by the Rainy Lake- Seine River fault zone. The park is in the Quetico subprovince, composed of biotite schists and granitic rocks.
The different accommodation options are hotels, campgrounds, motels, lodges, and cabins. Hotels have a range that also accommodates visitors on a slim budget. Although there is only one lodging option inside the national park, hotels are a few minutes away. Cabins are also budget-friendly, and you can still have privacy amid the falls. Lodges are averagely priced, but you should be patient enough to compare amenities and go through reviews to ensure a comfortable stay.
The areas surrounding the park are Crane Lake, Orr, Ash River, Kabetogama Lake, International Falls, and Rainier. Many visitors rent houseboats to cruise between the park’s four major lakes: Rainy, Kabetogama, Namakan, and Sand Point. These are visitors who have an adventure at heart. Other options for staying near the park are available in nearby towns, including International Falls, Lake Kabetogama, and Ash River. These are ideal for families. Campgrounds are the best places for couples seeking nature.
Where is Voyageurs National Park located?
Voyageurs National Park is located in northern Minnesota, near the border with Canada. It covers over 218,000 acres and includes several lakes, forests, and waterways. The park is about 4.5 hours north of Minneapolis and 3 hours east of Fargo, North Dakota. The park is also near several other popular attractions, including the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, the Superior National Forest, and International Falls.
What are the different types of accommodation available near the park?
There are cabins, lodges, hotels, Airbnbs, and vacation rentals.
What is the best area to stay in near Voyageurs National Park?
The best area to stay near Voyageurs National Park depends on your preferences and travel needs. Here are some of the top areas to consider:
- Ash River: This area is located on the eastern edge of Voyageurs National Park and offers easy access to several lakes, fishing spots, and hiking trails. There are several cabins and lodges in the area, boat rentals and fishing guides.
- Kabetogama: This small town is located on the southern edge of Voyageurs National Park and offers a range of accommodation options, including cabins, resorts, and lodges. The area also has several restaurants and shops and access to boating and fishing.
- Rainy Lake: This area is located on the northern edge of Voyageurs National Park and offers stunning views of the lake and surrounding wilderness. The area has several cabins, resorts, and boating, fishing, and hiking access.
- International Falls: This town is located about 20 miles north of Voyageurs National Park and offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, motels, and vacation rentals. The area has several restaurants, shops, and access to local attractions such as Smokey Bear Park and the Voyageurs National Park Visitor Center.
Types of Accommodation
Northern Minnesota cabin rentals are on a private bay on lake Kabetogama, where you find some of the best cabin rentals offered near Voyageurs. Each cabin at Northern Lights Resort is unique and all cabin rentals offer privacy. Lakeside cabins and upscale lodges range from cosy classic cottages to luxury lodges with five bedrooms and sleep up to 16 guests. Cabins have cookware, dishes, flatware, microwaves, toasters, and coffee makers.
Northern Lights Resort & Outfitting is a woodsy resort on Kabetogama Lake in Voyageurs National Park, 31 miles from International Falls and the Canadian border (Nlro.com). It offers parking, Wi-Fi, air conditioning, and a kitchen in rooms. The prices are as follows: 325, 231, 178, 350.
Kettle Falls Hotel is the only in-park, concession-operated lodging in the park. It is on the far eastern side of the Kabetogama Peninsula, approximately 15 miles from the nearest road and only accessible by water (Britannica.com). The Kettle Falls Hotel has a restaurant that offers full sit-down meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Top-rated lodges like Sandy Point Lodge & Resort, Ebel’s Voyageur Houseboats, Arrowhead Lodge, and Voyageur Park Lodge will give you the best experience. Prices range from 79 per night to 139 per night.
Aspen Resort & Campground is one of the finest family resorts in Northern Minnesota. It features the scenic Pelican Lake, fishing, heated pool, hot tub, boat rental, bike and ATV trails, beachfront playground, game room, snack bar, campfires, wildlife spotting, and fun for all ages. It is a place where you make memories with family and friends. Top-rated campsites are Eks Bay K8 Campsite, Lost Bay Island K17 Campsite, Kabetogama Lake Group K54, and more. The fees start from as little as 20.
Kettle Falls Hotel is the only lodging hotel within Voyageurs National Park. Sandy Point Lodge & Resort, Arrowhead Lodge, and many more exist. Cobblestone Hotel & Suites in International Falls has microwaves, refrigerators, luxury linens, Starbucks Coffee, USB ports, and flat-panel televisions in every guest room. Affordable prices start from 64 to 139.
The 24-hour Starbucks Coffee Service includes complimentary breakfast, guest laundry, high-speed wireless internet access, and on-site dining. The hotel is in a treed area on North Highway 53 at the southernmost entrance to International Falls. It is close to The Falls and has easy access to the beautiful Rainy Lake. It is close to restaurants, shopping, and downtown. It is 2.2 miles from the national park.
America’s Best Value Inn & Suites International Falls has pet-friendly and non-smoking rooms. Free parking, High-Speed Internet (WiFi), breakfast, Business Center with Internet Access, laundry service, air conditioning, a refrigerator, and a flatscreen TV is what you get. The rooms start from 80. This is one of the hotels that manage to balance affordability and quality.
What are the pros and cons of staying in a cabin near Voyageurs National Park?
Staying in a cabin near Voyageurs National Park can have several advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of the top pros and cons to consider:
- Beautiful views: Cabins near Voyageurs National Park offer stunning views of the natural surroundings, including lakes, forests, and wildlife.
- Less driving time: Staying in a cabin near the park can reduce travel time and allow you to explore the park and nearby attractions more.
- More Activity time: Cabins near the park often offer access to outdoor activities such as fishing, hiking, and boating, which can be a fun and exciting way to experience the natural beauty of the area.
- Privacy and tranquility: Cabins can offer a more secluded and peaceful environment than busy hotels and resorts, allowing you to relax and recharge in nature.
- Limited amenities: Cabins near Voyageurs National Park may not offer the same amenities and services as hotels and resorts, such as daily housekeeping, on-site restaurants, or fitness centers.
- Distance from town: Cabins may be located further from town, making it less convenient to access local shops, restaurants, and attractions.
- Limited cultural exchange: Staying in a cabin may not offer the same opportunities for cultural exchange and interaction with other travelers as hotels and resorts.
- Weather-dependent: Cabins may be less insulated and equipped for extreme weather conditions, which can be a drawback during colder or wetter seasons.
Are there any luxury accommodation options near the park?
Several luxury accommodation options near Voyageurs National Park offer upscale amenities and services. These include:
- Grand Ely Lodge Resort and Conference Center: This resort features luxurious rooms and suites with lake views, a full-service spa, an indoor pool, a hot tub, and an on-site restaurant.
- Northern Lights Lodge: This lodge offers private cabins and suites with lake views, as well as a sauna, hot tub, and on-site restaurant.
- White Eagle Resort: This resort features luxury cabins with lake views, a private beach, a hot tub, a sauna, and an on-site restaurant.
- Rainy Lake Houseboats: This unique accommodation option allows you to stay on a fully-equipped houseboat, complete with bedrooms, a kitchen, and living areas.
What is the cost of staying in a hotel near Voyageurs National Park?
The cost of staying in a hotel near Voyageurs National Park can vary depending on several factors, such as the season, location, amenities, and services offered. Generally, prices start from around $64 per night for budget accommodations such as motels or small hotels.
For more upscale accommodations, such as larger hotels or resorts, prices can range from $100 to $300 or more per night, depending on the level of luxury and services provided. Some accommodations may offer package deals or discounts for longer stays or during off-peak seasons.
In addition to the nightly rate, it’s also important to consider other costs, such as taxes, fees, and any additional services or amenities that may incur additional charges.
Finding the Right Accommodation
Factors to consider when choosing accommodation near Voyageurs National Park are proximity to the park, amenities, and price. Stay where you can afford a peaceful experience. Pick amenities of your choice that you cannot compromise. If you are so much into swimming, look for a lodge or hotel with a pool. Stay closer to the park to avoid traffic and waste traveling time.
Popular booking platforms are New Book. cloud, YMT Vacations, Pineskab.com, and more. These offer ratings, prices, and listings—customizable information based on your budget and expectations. Find the best deals on accommodation near the park by browsing and comparing accommodations. Book in advance to avoid disappointments. Some places can be full before you know it.
What should I consider when choosing accommodation near Voyageurs National Park?
Several factors must be considered when choosing accommodation near Voyageurs National Park to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable stay. Here are some of the top considerations:
- Location: Consider the proximity of the accommodation to Voyageurs National Park and the attractions you plan to visit. Staying closer to the park can save you time and travel costs, but it may be more expensive.
- Price: Determine your budget and look for accommodation options within your price range. Remember that prices vary depending on the season and demand, so consider booking in advance to secure the best price.
- Amenities: Consider the amenities and services offered by the accommodation, such as free Wi-Fi, breakfast, parking, and access to recreational activities. Choose accommodations that offer the amenities and services that are important to you.
- Security: Look for accommodations that provide a safe and secure environment, especially if traveling alone or with children. Check for features such as secure parking, a 24-hour front desk, and security cameras.
Can I find last-minute accommodation near the park?
You can often find last-minute accommodation options near Voyageurs National Park, but availability can vary depending on the season and demand. Finding available accommodations at the last minute during peak season or popular holidays may be more difficult.
If you are looking for last-minute accommodations near Voyageurs National Park, you may have better luck with smaller hotels, motels, and vacation rentals that may not be as popular or well-known. It’s also good to check with local tourism bureaus and visitor centers for recommendations and availability.
What is the best booking platform for finding accommodation near Voyageurs National Park?
Several booking platforms are available for finding accommodation near Voyageurs National Park, each with advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of the top options:
- Booking.com: This platform offers many accommodation options, from hotels and motels to cabins and vacation rentals. It also offers customized information based on your search criteria and does not charge reservation fees.
- Expedia: Expedia offers a range of accommodation options near Voyageurs National Park, including hotels, vacation rentals, and cabins. It also offers bundle deals that save you money on flights, rental cars, and other travel expenses.
- Airbnb: Airbnb offers a range of unique accommodation options, including cabins, cottages, and vacation rentals, often at a lower price than traditional hotels. However, it’s important to note that some Airbnb rentals may not have the same amenities or services as traditional hotels.
- Hotels.com: Hotels.com offers a range of accommodation options near Voyageurs National Park, including hotels, motels, and vacation rentals. It also offers a rewards program that can earn you free stays after a certain number of bookings.
Additional Tips and Information
Tips for a comfortable and enjoyable stay near Voyageurs National Park
- Visit during the Fall.
- Book in advance.
- Maximize your time on tours.
- Take a boat tour.
Activities available near the park and how to plan for them
Plan where to camp since houseboats are moored to shore from sundown to daylight. Visit Kettle Falls, Ellsworth Rock Gardens, The Northern Lights; Ellsworth, Grassy Bay Cliffs · Golf Portage, and many more. Ice fishing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, and cross-country skiing are all available for winter activities.
Nearby attractions and places to visit
- Ellsworth Rock Gardens
- Beaver Pond Overlook
- Rainy Lake
- Locator Lake Trail
Discuss the importance of respecting the environment and park regulations
Respect the environment and park regulations to protect the most valuable and representative ecosystems and natural and cultural heritage resources, to provide for the conservation of the marine environment, and avoid penalties and safety.
What are some popular activities near Voyageurs National Park?
Several popular activities are available near Voyageurs National Park, allowing visitors to explore the park’s natural beauty and wildlife. Here are some of the top activities to consider:
- Hiking: Voyageurs National Park offers a range of hiking trails that allow visitors to explore the area’s scenic beauty and wildlife. From short, easy hikes to more challenging trails, there’s something for every level of hiker.
- Boating: With more than 500 miles of shoreline and four large lakes, Voyageurs National Park offers plenty of opportunities for boating. Visitors can rent boats or bring their own and explore the park’s waterways at their own pace.
- Fishing: Voyageurs National Park is known for its excellent fishing opportunities, with four large lakes and over 50 smaller lakes and streams. Visitors can fish for walleye, northern pike, bass, and other species.
- Wildlife viewing: With its pristine forests, lakes, and wetlands, Voyageurs National Park is home to many, including moose, black bears, bald eagles, and loons. Visitors can take guided wildlife tours or explore on their own.
- Winter sports: In the winter, Voyageurs National Park offers opportunities for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and ice fishing. Visitors can rent equipment, bring their own, and enjoy the park’s snowy landscapes.
Are there any restaurants near the park?
Several dining options near Voyageurs National Park offer visitors a chance to refuel after a day of outdoor activities. Here are some of the top options:
- The Rocky Ledge: This restaurant is located just outside the park’s entrance and offers a range of American-style cuisine, including burgers, sandwiches, and salads.
- Moosebirds Cafe: This cafe is located in Orr, Minnesota, about 20 miles from the park, and offers a range of breakfast and lunch items, including sandwiches, wraps, and baked goods.
- Zup’s Grocery & Deli: This grocery store and deli is located in Cook, Minnesota, about 30 miles from the park, and offers a range of deli sandwiches, salads, and hot food items.
- The Landing: This restaurant is located on Lake Kabetogama and offers a range of American-style cuisine, including seafood, steak, and pasta dishes.
What should I pack for a trip to Voyageurs National Park?
Visitors to Voyageurs National Park should pack the following items:
- Appropriate clothing: The weather in Voyageurs National Park can be unpredictable, so pack layers and clothing suitable for various conditions. Pack shorts, t-shirts, and a light jacket or raincoat in the summer. In the spring and fall, pack warmer layers like sweaters and jackets.
- Hiking gear: If you plan to hike, pack sturdy hiking boots, a backpack, and plenty of water.
- Fishing gear: If you plan to fish, pack your fishing rod, reel, tackle, and a valid fishing license.
- Insect repellent: Mosquitoes and other insects can be abundant in Voyageurs National Park, especially in the summer, so be sure to pack insect repellent.
- Sunscreen and sunglasses: The sun can be strong in Voyageurs National Park, so be sure to pack sunscreen and sunglasses to protect your skin and eyes.
- Maps and guidebooks: Pack maps to help you navigate the park’s trails and waterways.
- Other items: Other items to consider packing include a camera, binoculars, a first aid kit, and any necessary medications.
In conclusion, this article has provided some of the best accommodations you can stay at near Voyageurs National Park. These range from hotels and camps to lodges. Find the right accommodation near Voyageurs National Park for a comfortable and enjoyable trip.
What is the best time to visit Voyageurs National Park?
The best time to visit Voyageurs National Park depends on your interests and the activities you plan to do. Here are some things to consider:
- Weather: Summer is the most popular time to visit Voyageurs National Park, with warm temperatures and long days. However, spring and fall can also be great times to visit, with cooler temperatures and fewer crowds.
- Wildlife viewing: If you’re interested in wildlife viewing, consider visiting in the summer or fall, when animals are more active and visible.
- Fishing: The fishing season in Voyageurs National Park runs from May through September, so plan your trip accordingly if you want to fish.
- Water activities: If you’re interested in water activities like boating, kayaking, or swimming, plan your visit for the summer months when the water is warm.
- Fall foliage: If you want to see the park’s fall foliage, plan your visit for mid to late September.
What are the different hiking trails near Voyageurs National Park?
Several hiking trails near Voyageurs National Park allow visitors to explore the scenic beauty and wildlife. Here are some of the top hiking trails to consider:
- Locator Lake Trail: This 4.4-mile trail starts at the Rainy Lake Visitor Center and offers hikers the chance to explore the shoreline of Locator Lake and enjoy scenic views of the park.
- Blind Ash Bay Trail: This 2.5-mile trail starts at the Blind Ash Bay parking lot and offers hikers the chance to explore the shoreline of Rainy Lake and enjoy scenic views of the park.
- Oberholtzer Trail: This 3.6-mile trail starts at the Rainy Lake Visitor Center and offers hikers the chance to explore the area’s wetlands and enjoy scenic views of the park.
- Cruiser Lake Trail: This 5.2-mile trail starts at the Cruiser Lake trailhead on Kabetogama Lake and offers hikers the chance to explore the shoreline of Cruiser Lake and enjoy scenic views of the park.
- Echo Bay Trail: This 2.5-mile trail starts at the Echo Bay parking lot and offers hikers the chance to explore the shoreline of Rainy Lake and enjoy scenic views of the park.
Are there any pet-friendly accommodation options near the park?
Several pet-friendly accommodation options near Voyageurs National Park offer comfortable accommodations for you and your furry friend. Here are some of the top options:
- Northern Lights Resort & Outfitting: This family-owned resort is located on the shores of Kabetogama Lake and offers a range of pet-friendly cabins and villas with kitchenettes or full kitchens. The resort also offers pet-friendly boat rentals and a pet-friendly beach for swimming and playing.
- The Pines of Kabetogama: This family-owned resort is located on the shores of Kabetogama Lake and offers a range of pet-friendly cabins and cottages with full kitchens or kitchenettes. The resort also offers pet-friendly boat rentals and a pet-friendly beach for swimming and playing.
- Arrowhead Lodge: This family-friendly lodge is located on Lake Kabetogama and offers a range of pet-friendly cabins with kitchenettes or full kitchens. The lodge also offers pet-friendly boat rentals and a playground for kids and pets.
- Sandy Point Lodge & Resort: This family-friendly resort is located on the shore of Crane Lake and offers a range of pet-friendly cabins with full kitchens and fireplaces. The resort also offers pet-friendly boat rentals and a playground for kids and pets.
What are the best family-friendly accommodation options near Voyageurs National Park?
Several family-friendly accommodation options near Voyageurs National Park offer comfortable accommodations and a range of amenities and activities for families. Here are some of the top options:
- Northern Lights Resort & Outfitting: This family-owned resort is located on the shores of Kabetogama Lake and offers a range of cabins and villas with kitchenettes or full kitchens. The resort also offers boat rentals, fishing guides, and a sandy beach for swimming and playing.
- Sandy Point Lodge & Resort: This family-friendly resort is located on the shore of Crane Lake and offers a range of cabins with full kitchens and fireplaces. The resort also offers boat rentals, fishing guides, and a playground for kids.
- The Pines of Kabetogama: This family-owned resort is located on the shores of Kabetogama Lake and offers a range of cabins and cottages with full kitchens or kitchenettes. The resort also offers boat rentals, a playground, and a sandy beach for swimming and playing.
- Arrowhead Lodge: This family-friendly lodge on Lake Kabetogama offers a range of cabins with kitchenettes or full kitchens. The lodge also offers boat rentals, fishing guides, and a playground for kids.