Where to stay near Watkins Glen State Park
Table Of Contents
Watkins Glen is located at the southern end of Seneca Lake, in the heart of the Finger Lakes region, 20 miles north of Elmira. It is the most famous Finger Lakes state park in New York . Its main entrance is located at 1009 North Franklin Street in Watkins Glen. This natural wonder features waterfalls and rock formations that you can explore on the trails at your leisure.
Consider visiting Watkins Glen State Park on a tour to Niagara Falls from New York City. The best hike near Watkins Glen is Lucifer Falls via Gorge Trail and Rim Trail, a 4.6-mile loop trail in Robert H. Treman State Park. The article includes a comprehensive guide to lodging near the park.
Accommodation Options Near Watkins Glen State Park
Hotels and Resorts
The Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel offers clean and comfortable chairs. The hotel is quiet, although the price may not be cheap for visitors on a tight budget. You get what you pay for, and the staff is helpful. Free parking, high-speed Internet, a pool, a fitness center with a weight room, and a bar or lounge exist. You can pay $159 for a room. The Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel is an award-winning hotel that offers luxurious rooms. Waterfront rooms include optional terraces, balconies with lake views, and suites with whirlpools and 24-hour room service.
Beautiful views of Seneca Lake surround Lakeside Resort and offer clean and comfortable accommodations 3 miles north of downtown Watkins Glen, NY. This property offers peace and space to breathe before returning to your activities. The 3812 Bistro serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, artisan farm-to-table dishes along with local beer, wine and cider. The minimum price per room is $145.
Bed and Breakfasts
The Apex Inn Bed and Breakfast are the closest Bed and Breakfast accommodation to Watkins Glen International Race Track (Imsa.com). It is an ultra-modern race-themed B&B within walking distance of Watkins Glen International race track (1/3 mile). The modern rooms have private bathrooms, a walk-in shower, modern vanities, spa-like amenities, bamboo/ cotton linens, and hair dryers.
Rooms feature hickory hardwood floors, 40-inch apartment-screen TVs, AC /heating with remote controls, ceiling fans, desks with chairs, recliners and refrigerators/freezers. Complimentary snacks await you in your room. Amenities include an off-street race trailer, private parking and a large U-shaped driveway. A minimum of $209 is for a room.
Lake Valley Legends Bed and Breakfast has five rooms, all with private bathrooms. They have the best views of the lake and ensuite bathrooms. The rooms have sitting areas, TV/cable, AC, Wi-Fi, refrigerators, heating, bathrobes, slippers, iron/board and a hairdryer. Breakfast is included.
There are scenic grounds with two-level deck-lake views, a covered patio, a cornerstone patio with a lake view, and a fire pit. It is a walking distance to the lake-harbor village of Watkins Glen-shopping (Explorewatkinsglen.com). Nearby is golf-wineries-Watkins Glen State Park-Corning, Elmira & Ithaca. No kids under 16, no pets. Pay $207 for your accommodation.
Visitors have many options when seeking a more rustic experience. Pitch a tent, hook up your RV, or enjoy the classic experience of a cabin. Many campgrounds and cabins in the Finger Lakes also offer various amenities, including pools, miniature golf, fishing, hiking trails, and more.
Scenic views of the Finger Lakes are spectacular on the East side of Seneca Lake. Cozy, private cabins with a bedroom & bathroom are on a quiet road, just a few miles from wineries, breweries, and waterfalls. Enjoy sunsets and lakeside fun with kayaks, paddle boards, a dock for lounging, and campfire pits.
The cabin has a queen bed, small table and stools, bathroom/shower, wifi, TV w/Roku, air conditioner, ceiling fan, heat, small refrigerator, microwave, drip coffee maker/ coffee, linens, towels, hair dryer, wine glasses, corkscrew. It offers beautiful outdoor spaces to relax and enjoy. There is a screened-in lakeside gazebo to enjoy a meal and quiet reading.
Watkins Glen Cottages, Cottage in Burdett for $145, the Blue Goose Cottage on Seneca Wine Trail for $145, and Waneta Lakeside Cottage for $208 are some of the vacation rentals worth considering.
The Blue Goose cottage is a renovated farmhouse built in 1850. It is a right and spacious loft right in the heart of the Seneca wine trail. It takes a few minutes from wineries, and breweries, 5 min from Watkins Glen, and 30min to Ithaca. The backyard is secluded and quiet, and the house is right next to Hector Falls Creek, ideal for a morning walk.
Watkins apartments start from as little as $90. Glen Lake Apartments is in Watkins Glen, on the southern shore of Seneca Lake in the heart of the Finger Lakes region. They are near human services, shopping, and the waterfront district. You can access 24-hour emergency maintenance, a storage unit, and snow removal. All units are LEED standards with high-efficiency gas heating, central A/C, and Energy Star appliances, and the building is ADA-accessible.
When selecting accommodation near Watkins Glen State Park, look at your budget. Depending on your interests and budget, there are options from camping to luxury hotels to vintage B&B. Choose from the various hotels near Watkins Glen State Park for your stay.
Consider the proximity to the park’s hiking trails and other attractions. Do not stay far from the state park to reduce driving and maximize activity time. Staying close to the park and activities brings a connection to nature.
Each accommodation offers certain amenities. Your expectations will tell you what to go for. Sometimes, you are forced to compromise due to budget, but basics remain important.
Benefits and drawbacks of staying in different locations
Staying in different locations comes with its pros and cons. Staying out of town allows cultural exchange and exposure to many activities, unlike at Glen Park, where all you meet are travelers. Sometimes you might not even meet anyone. There’s more privacy when staying in Glen Park than at hotels miles away from Glen Park.
- Communication availability
Tips for Booking Accommodations Near Watkins Glen State Park
- Book in advance, especially during peak season
- Find the best deals and promotions on different sites
- Compare amenities
- Pay attention to reviews and ratings
- If you’re looking for a cheap hotel in Watkins Glen, you should consider visiting during the low season.
- Do a search using the city map to choose a specific location
Q1: What are the best hotels near Watkins Glen State Park?
Several great hotels near Watkins Glen State Park offer comfortable accommodations and easy access to the park’s natural beauty. Here are some of the top options:
- Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel: This luxury hotel is located on the shore of Seneca Lake and offers stunning views of the water and surrounding hills. The hotel features elegant guest rooms, a full-service restaurant and bar, and a range of amenities like a fitness center, indoor pool, and hot tub.
- Lakeside Resort: This family-friendly resort offers cozy cabins and cottages with views of Seneca Lake. The resort features a private beach, fishing dock, playground, outdoor pool, and picnic area.
- Glen Motor Inn: This budget-friendly inn offers comfortable accommodations just a short drive from Watkins Glen State Park. The inn features an outdoor pool, picnic area, and complimentary breakfast.
- Seneca Lodge: This rustic lodge is on a hillside overlooking the park and offers cozy guest rooms and cabins. The lodge features a full-service restaurant and bar and a range of outdoor activities like hiking, fishing, and skiing.
- Falls Motel: This budget-friendly motel is located just a few minutes from Watkins Glen State Park and offers comfortable accommodations at an affordable price. The motel features an outdoor pool, a picnic area, and a complimentary breakfast.
Q2: What are some affordable accommodation options near Watkins Glen State Park?
Several choices are available if you’re looking for affordable accommodation options near Watkins Glen State Park. Here are some of the most budget-friendly options:
- Hostels: Hostels are a great choice for budget-conscious travelers who don’t mind sharing accommodations with others. Several hostels near Watkins Glen State Park offer dorm-style rooms and shared facilities like kitchens and bathrooms.
- Cabins: Cabins are another affordable option offering a unique and rustic experience. Several campgrounds and resorts near the park offer cabins at varying price points.
- Campgrounds: If you’re interested in camping, several campgrounds near Watkins Glen State Park offer affordable tent and RV camping. Some campgrounds also offer cabins or cottages for rent.
- Motels and Inns: While not as budget-friendly as hostels or cabins, motels and inns can offer affordable accommodations near Watkins Glen State Park. Look for budget-friendly options that offer basic amenities like free Wi-Fi, continental breakfast, and parking.
Q3: Are there any pet-friendly accommodation options near Watkins Glen State Park?
Yes, several pet-friendly accommodation options are available near Watkins Glen State Park. Whether you’re traveling with your furry friend or want to bring them along for a day trip to the park, you’ll find various options. Here are some of the top pet-friendly accommodations in the area:
- Lakeside Resort: This pet-friendly resort offers cozy cabins and cottages with views of Seneca Lake. You and your pet can enjoy the resort’s private beach, fishing dock, and playground.
- Watkins Glen State Park Campground: This campground is located within the park and offers pet-friendly tent and RV camping and cabins. You and your pet can explore the park’s hiking trails and stunning waterfalls.
- Sleepy Bear Lodge: This cozy lodge offers pet-friendly rooms and suites just a short drive from Watkins Glen State Park. You and your pet can relax in the lodge’s comfortable accommodations and enjoy its outdoor grill and picnic area.
- Enchanted Valley View Unit 1: This pet-friendly vacation rental is just a few miles from Watkins Glen State Park and offers stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys. You and your pet can enjoy the spacious yard and private deck.
Q4: Is it better to stay in Watkins Glen town or outside of town?
Whether to stay in Watkins Glen town or outside town depends on your interests and travel style. Here are some things to consider:
- Proximity to Watkins Glen State Park: If your primary reason for visiting the area is to explore the park, staying outside of town may be more convenient. Many campgrounds and lodges near the park offer easy access to hiking trails and other outdoor activities.
- Access to other attractions: If you’re interested in exploring other attractions, such as wineries, museums, or historical sites, staying in Watkins Glen Town may be more convenient. The town offers several options for dining, shopping, and entertainment.
- Cultural experiences: If you’re interested in experiencing the local culture and way of life, staying outside town may be a better choice. You’ll be able to explore smaller towns and villages and interact with locals.
- Accommodation options: Watkins Glen town and the surrounding area offer various accommodation options, from campgrounds and cabins to hotels and bed and breakfasts. Consider your budget and travel style when choosing where to stay.
Q5: What is the best time of year to visit Watkins Glen State Park?
The best time of year to visit Watkins Glen State Park depends on your preferences and what you want to experience. However, many visitors recommend visiting from mid-May until early June or September (after Labor Day) until late October. During these times, there are typically fewer crowds, mild weather, and stunning views of the park’s foliage.
Remember that the park’s Gorge Trail is closed during winter due to ice and snow, so it’s best to visit when the trail is open. Additionally, the summer months (June through August) can be crowded, hot, and humid, which may make hiking and other outdoor activities less enjoyable.
Q6: How can I find the best deals on accommodation near Watkins Glen State Park?
Finding the best deals on accommodation near Watkins Glen State Park requires some research and planning, but there are several strategies you can use to save money. Here are some tips:
- Search online travel booking sites: Websites like Expedia, Booking.com, and TripAdvisor offer a wide range of accommodation options near Watkins Glen State Park. You can often find better deals and discounts by comparing prices across multiple sites.
- Check the hotel’s website: Sometimes, hotels and resorts offer exclusive discounts and promotions on their website that you won’t find on third-party booking sites. Check the hotel’s website or sign up for their email newsletter to stay up-to-date on special offers.
- Look for package deals: Some travel booking sites offer deals that combine your accommodation with other activities, such as tours or tickets to local attractions. These deals can be a great way to save money and simplify your trip planning.
- Consider alternative accommodations: Besides traditional hotels and motels, there are several alternative accommodations near Watkins Glen State Park, such as bed and breakfasts, vacation rentals, and campgrounds. These options may offer more affordable rates and unique experiences.
- Be flexible with your travel dates: Prices for accommodation near Watkins Glen State Park can vary depending on the season and day of the week. Consider traveling during the off-season or mid-week to take advantage of lower rates.
Q7: Are there any camping options near Watkins Glen State Park?
Yes, there are several camping options available near Watkins Glen State Park. Whether you pitch a tent or bring your RV, you will find a campground that suits your needs. Here are some of the top options:
- Watkins Glen State Park Campground: This campground is located within the park and offers tent and RV camping and cabins. The campground is open from early May to late October and offers several amenities, including showers, flush toilets, and a dump station.
- Clute Park Campground: This campground is located on the shore of Seneca Lake, just a short drive from Watkins Glen State Park. It offers tent and RV camping, as well as cabins and cottages. The campground is open from late April to mid-October and offers amenities such as a playground, swimming beach, and boat launch.
- KOA Watkins Glen/Corning: This campground is just a few miles from Watkins Glen State Park and offers tent and RV camping, cabins, and glamping tents. The campground is open from April to October and offers amenities such as a swimming pool, mini golf, and a camp store.
- Seneca Sol Glamping: If you’re looking for a unique camping experience, Seneca Sol offers glamping tents that are fully furnished and equipped with electricity and running water. The site is just a short drive from Watkins Glen State Park and offers stunning views of Seneca Lake.
Remember that some campgrounds may require reservations, especially during peak season, so it’s a good idea to book your spot in advance.
Q8: How long should I plan to stay in the area to experience Watkins Glen State Park?
Watkins Glen State Park is a stunning natural wonder that can be explored in a day, but to experience everything the park offers fully, you may want to plan to stay longer.
If you’re interested in hiking, the park has several trails that range in difficulty and offer different views of the park’s iconic waterfalls and rock formations. You may want to plan a full day of hiking to see everything.
In addition to hiking, there are several other activities to enjoy in the park, such as fishing, swimming, and picnicking. You may want to spend additional time relaxing and enjoying the park’s serene surroundings.
Finally, several other attractions near the park, such as wineries, museums, and historical sites. If you plan to explore the surrounding area, you may want to consider adding additional days to your trip.
Q9: What other attractions are there to visit near Watkins Glen State Park?
Watkins Glen State Park is a beautiful natural wonder, but several other attractions are worth visiting near the park. Here are some of the top options:
- Seneca Lake Wine Trail: Located just a short drive from Watkins Glen State Park, the Seneca Lake Wine Trail is a must-visit for wine lovers. The trail features over 30 wineries and vineyards, offering a variety of wines and tasting experiences.
- Watkins Glen International: Watkins Glen International is a must-see if you’re a racing fan. This world-famous racetrack hosts several events yearly, including NASCAR and IndyCar races.
- Farm Sanctuary: Animal lovers will appreciate visiting Farm Sanctuary, a nonprofit organization dedicated to rescuing and caring for farm animals. Visitors can take a guided tour and meet the animals, including cows, pigs, and chickens.
- Lakewood Vineyards: Another great winery option near Watkins Glen State Park, Lakewood Vineyards offers award-winning wines and a beautiful tasting room with views of Seneca Lake.
- Castel Grisch: This winery offers stunning views of Seneca Lake and various wines. Visitors can enjoy a picnic on the grounds or take a guided vineyard tour.
- Reisinger’s Apple Country: This family-owned farm offers a variety of seasonal fruits and vegetables, including apples, strawberries, and pumpkins. Visitors can pick their produce, take a hayride, or enjoy a fresh-baked apple cider donut.
In summary, make a budget for your stay in the accommodation of your choice. Pay attention to what is on your bucket list. Budget Inn Watkins Glen, The Colonial Inn & Motel, and Watkins Motel are very popular with users who want to stay within walking distance of Watkins Glen State Park. Cottages and cabins are more affordable for larger groups. Book your lodging well in advance and consider all available lodging options. Consider location when choosing your lodging. Enjoy your stay.