Where to stay near everglades national park
Table Of Contents
Everglades National Park is an American national park that protects the southern twenty percent of the Everglades in Florida. The park is the largest tropical wilderness in the United States and the largest wilderness east of the Mississippi River. An average of one million people visit the park annually. It is an alternative to Death Valley and Yellowstone.
There are several hiking trails, motorboats, and camping is allowed. You need a comfortable place to rest and the right accommodation. In this article, you will learn more about the location and type of accommodation, facilities and reviews.
Location and Types of Accommodation near Everglades National Park
Location of Accommodation
The importance of choosing accommodation close to the Everglades National Park.
No overnight accommodations are available in Everglades National Park other than camping facilities. That is why you should choose accommodation close to the park. You get the best access to the Gulf Coast Visitor Center. Accommodation in Everglades City gives you the best park access. It takes minutes to go from lodging in Everglades City to airboat tours and other park activities. Staying close to Everglades National Park helps avoid traffic and reduce drive time.
The best towns/cities to stay in close to the national park
Homestead uses the Royal Palme entrance, the departure point for the Anhinga Trail and the Gumbo Limbo Trail. Expect to see plenty of wildlife along the Anhinga Trail, a world-famous boardwalk trail bordering Taylor Slough (Alltrails.com). The Gumbo Limbo Trail is a paved path through a hardwood hammock. There are many trails to explore off the main park road.
- Cultural diversity
- Friendly neighborhoods
- Proximity to the park
- Low traffic
- Dry weather
Miami gives you the hustle and bustle of city life. The vibrant Miami is about 1-hour drive from the Everglades. You can access the beautiful white sand beaches, food markets, street art, museums, and crazy nightlife (Nomadsunveiled.com).
Miami is for those who want to visit the park just as a day trip, and if you don’t have a car, you can take the bus from different areas in the city. In Miami, you find luxurious hotels that make you stay incredible.
- You’ll have to deal with humidity and hurricane season
If you want to stay a few minutes driving from the Park, the small Everglades City is the best option to stay near Everglades Park. It is right on the western border of it. Due to its proximity to the park, Everglades City offers countless ways to visit it. You will be close to the Coast Visitor Center, airboat operators, and tours through its waterways. That is convenient enough even if you do not have a car. If you want to explore other wild areas, Everglades city sits right in the middle of some natural attractions.
- Close to natural attractions
- Outdoor activity
- Small town
- Weather can be unpredictable
Types of Accommodation
Different types of accommodation available near the Everglades National Park
Everglades City Motel – Everglades Adventures Inn offers clean and comfortable rooms. The rooms have a larger-sized mini fridge, sink, cabinets, and spacious bathroom. It is 1.1 miles from the Gulf Coast entrance to Everglades National Park, and an 8-minute walk from the regional history exhibits at the Everglades Laundry.
Stay at Quality Inn Florida City – Gateway to the Keys hotel, near the entrance to the Florida Keys, and a half-hour drive to Key Largo. Activities and attractions to explore near your hotel include shopping at the Florida Keys Outlet Marketplace, Everglades National Park, and snorkeling or diving at the coral reef of Biscayne National Park. It is near the RF Orchids, Zoo Miami, Miccosukee Indian Village, Homestead Air Reserve Base, and more—dining options nearby range from Mexican fare and BBQ to Caribbean and American-style food.
- Center of attractions
- Multiple amenities
- Beautiful design
- Privacy issues
Everglades Motel is known ·13 min drive to the Miami Children’s Museum. All the rooms have Wi-Fi, air conditioning, and 24-hour front desk services but no pools and hot tubs. Plenty of Lodge rooms are available for booking, spacious lodges with adventure activities. Country Lodge Motel has rooms from 134 to 194. The rooms have air conditioning and free parking.
- Personalized experience
- Free or discounted parking
- Better services
- Feels at home
- No wheelchair-accessible parking
Lodging is available in communities that border the park, including Homestead, Florida City, Miami, Everglades City, and Chokoloskee. Contact the local chamber of commerce or visitor information bureau for a listing of local accommodations. Everglades Fishing Lodge is surrounded by water. One-third of Everglades National Park is covered by water, creating excellent boating and fishing opportunities.
- Long-term visits
- Easy access to attractions
- Climate change
No overnight accommodations are available in Everglades National Park other than camping facilities. Flamingo Eco-Tent Campgrounds offers safari-style tents with fans, and electricity, starting from 90/per night. The campgrounds at Flamingo offer an unforgettable year-round experience in Everglades National Park. Campgrounds include bathhouses, dump stations, and picnics.
The Flamingo campground is one of two drive-in campgrounds accessible from the Homestead entrance of the park. It offers solar-heated showers, two dump stations, picnic tables, grills, and an amphitheater for seasonal Ranger programs. Flamingo has several hiking trails and canoe trails, and saltwater fishing. Check at the visitor center for a daily schedule of Ranger-guided programs.
There are several ground sites, beach sites, and camping platforms in various locations in the park. These are accessible by canoe, kayak, or motorboat. A few are reached by hikers. Get a wilderness camping permit for all wilderness campsites. They should be issued before or during your trip at the Flamingo or Gulf Coast Visitor Centers.
- More exercise
- Better relationships
- Exposed to nature
Choosing the Right Accommodation near Everglades National Park
Factors to Consider When Choosing Accommodation
Additional factors to consider when choosing accommodation are:
- Purpose of the trip: Are you traveling for business or leisure? Will you spend most of your time exploring the area in the accommodation or outside?
- Type of accommodation: Do you prefer a hotel, motel, vacation rental, hostel, or camping? Each type of accommodation offers a different experience and level of comfort.
- Accessibility: Is the accommodation accessible for those with disabilities? Is there an elevator or are there stairs?
- Parking: Is parking available, and is it free or an additional cost? If you are renting a car, this is an important consideration.
- Reviews: Check reviews from previous guests to get a sense of their experience and satisfaction with the accommodation.
- Pet-friendliness: If you are traveling with pets, check if the accommodation allows pets and if there are any additional fees.
- Breakfast options: If breakfast is not included in the room rate, find out if there are nearby cafes or restaurants where you can grab a bite.
- Wi-Fi: If you need internet access during your stay, check if Wi-Fi is available and if there are any additional fees.
Tips on how to find the best accommodation deals.
- Use price comparison websites to compare rates across different booking platforms.
- Sign up for newsletters or alerts from booking sites to receive exclusive deals and discounts.
- Check for seasonal promotions or last-minute deals.
- Consider alternative accommodation options such as hostels, homestays, or vacation rentals.
- Use discount codes or coupons when available.
- Be flexible with your travel dates and consider traveling during off-peak seasons.
- Negotiate directly with the property owner or manager to get a better deal.
- Join loyalty programs or reward schemes to earn points or free stays.
Different amenities are important to consider when choosing accommodation near the Everglades National Park
Who is willing to pay extra for breakfast, then get it for free? Paying for breakfast can be avoided if you are patient enough to keep searching for your best accommodation. Breakfast in your room will save you time looking for your ideal restaurant. Parking should not be a hassle where you intend to stay.
You should feel secure with your car parked outside. Paying for parking is also an additional cost you would want to avoid. The network can also be a hassle in the woods, but you must stay connected. Some lodges have connection problems with the Internet which is rare in hotels (Sarahtamsin.com). Parking in camps is closer to your accommodation.
The importance of reading accommodation reviews before booking is that you get experience from people who have had experience with the place you wish to stay. Chances are high that what they got is what you will get.
Tips on how to find reliable reviews and how to interpret them.
When looking for reliable reviews, it’s important not to rely solely on star ratings. Pay attention to red flags such as overly positive or negative reviews. Also, check if the reviewer is legitimate by looking at their profile and history of reviews. Be wary of a burst of reviews during a short period, as this may be a sign of fake reviews. Additionally, it’s helpful to read independent product reviews from established sources. Keep in mind that everyone’s experience may differ, so try to read various reviews to get a more well-rounded understanding of the product or service.
- Don’t rely on star ratings alone.
- Pay attention to red flags.
- See if the reviewer is legit.
- Check for a burst of reviews during a short period.
- Look out for fake negative reviews.
- Read independent product reviews from established sources.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best time of year to visit Everglades National Park?
The best time to visit the Everglades is in the dry season, from early December to April. There are pleasant temperatures, fewer mosquitoes, and higher wildlife spotting possibilities.
How far in advance should I book my accommodation near Everglades National Park?
The ideal time to book accommodation near Everglades National Park is a few months in advance, especially during peak travel seasons. It’s recommended to start looking for options and making reservations as soon as possible to secure the best rates and availability.
What is the average price of accommodation near Everglades National Park?
The average accommodation price near Everglades National Park varies depending on the type and the season. Generally, prices range from $100 to $300 per night for hotels and vacation rentals, and campsites cost around $20 to $30 per night. It is advisable to book in advance during the peak season to secure lower prices.
Are there any pet-friendly accommodations near Everglades National Park?
Several pet-friendly accommodation options near Everglades National Park include hotels, motels, and vacation rentals. However, checking with the individual property beforehand is recommended to confirm their pet policy and any additional fees.
Can I camp in Everglades National Park?
Yes, you can camp in Everglades National Park. The park offers several campgrounds for tent and RV camping, including Long Pine Key Campground, Flamingo Campground, and backcountry camping with a permit.
Are there any eco-friendly accommodation options near Everglades National Park?
There are eco-friendly accommodation options near Everglades National Park, including glamping Eco Tents for camping, houseboats powered by solar panels, and boat tours that offer a low-impact way to explore the park’s waterways.
How close do I need to be to the national park to experience the Everglades?
To fully experience the Everglades, staying within or near the national park is recommended. However, there are several access points throughout the park, and some activities, such as hiking, boating, and wildlife viewing, can be enjoyed in various areas.
What is the cancellation policy for accommodation near Everglades National Park?
Private bookings or bookings of 5 or more guests can be canceled with a refund or rebooked 14 days before the trip. Private bookings or bookings of 5 or more guests will not receive a refund for cancellations or changes within 14 days of their activity.
What amenities should I look for when choosing accommodation near Everglades National Park?
When choosing accommodation near Everglades National Park, there are several amenities to consider that can enhance your experience. Here are some amenities to look for:
- Proximity to the park: Look for accommodation near the park entrance or within a reasonable distance. This can save you time and allow you to explore the park more.
- Outdoor activities: Everglades National Park is known for its outdoor activities, such as hiking, kayaking, and wildlife watching. Look for accommodation that offers access to these activities or provides equipment rentals.
- On-site dining options: While there are several dining options in the nearby towns, having on-site dining can be convenient, especially if you’re planning to spend long hours in the park.
- Swimming pool or hot tub: After a day of exploring the park, a relaxing swim or soak in a hot tub can be a great way to unwind.
- Complimentary breakfast: Many accommodations near Everglades National Park offer complimentary breakfast, which can be a great way to start your day and save on meal expenses.
- Pet-friendly rooms: If you’re traveling with pets, look for accommodations with pet-friendly rooms or facilities.